My Fellow Americans

mzm
Site Admin

My Fellow Americans

Postby mzm » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:17 pm

Dear Fellow Americans

The pollsters said you wanted change. This is not change. This is yet another misogynistic man, who denigrates and subjugates women. A man who does not honor his commitments, cheats those with whom he signs contracts, cheats on his wives, uses foul language and expresses even fouler thoughts and is simply a bully.

This morning, as I walked down the streets of New York, I looked at those I passed. I really looked at them, in the face. (Normally, we New Yorkers do not do that. We know you are there – but do not have the time or inclination to acknowledge you.) But today I looked. And these thoughts went through my mind: Woman in the high powered suit – did you vote for him? Man in the jeans and sweater – did you vote for him? Three young men in their suits laughing with their Starbucks in hand – did you? Two young women jogging passed – what about you?

And then, I saw you. Are you a kindred spirit? A tall woman wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. The t-shirt said: TUBMAN. I saw the look on your face as you approached me. You looked sad and yet determined. Had you also realized that glass ceiling is much thicker than we ever imagined? I caught your eye and looked down at TUBMAN and then back at your face. Were those tears in your eyes, there were a few in mine. You nodded at me, I nodded at you. We both stood a bit taller and walked past each other.

We will weather this storm as we have the others. We are New Yorkers, we are Americans and we are
Women. Someday, it will be our day. Some day we will blow that glass ceiling away. And then we will have true change. A compassionate and intelligent leader. One who is truly inclusive.

G-d Bless America.
MZM

Return to “Your Thoughts”